Stephanie Roggenbuck reports in from MMPA

This summer, I have been doing several different things from state inspections to herd tests.  The beginning of my fellowship, I spent time identifying problems that were causing high raw bacteria, high PI counts (preliminary incubation counts), and low freeze points on dairy farms in Michigan and Indiana.  In addition, I have started equipment training and testing.  I have graphed milk let down and vacuum on individual cows and have identified cows that were not being stimulated properly.  These cows ended up with a lag in milk let down and graphs showing mechanical stimulation occurring by the machine before peak flow.  Graphing individual cows also showed if the cow had the milker on too long, which leads to teat end damage –hyperkeratosis.  Having this damaged teat end leaves space for bacteria and mastitis to develop.  I have also graphed pulsators observing for the proper amount of time for the rest phase and transition phases, without the proper timing teat end damage does occur.  Some other systems checks I have worked on have been CIP’s (clean in place) watching and testing the bulk tank during the different wash cycles.  During these different cycles, I collected the water and tested for alkalinity, chlorine, and pH to insure that the tank has been washing properly. 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Summer 2011, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s